Images courtesy of Sarah Stacey Interior Design
Designer Sarah Stacey of Sarah Stacey Interior Design in Austin, Texas, was asked by a returning client to bring a more modern aesthetic to their living room. Sarah shares her tips for a successful update:
- Determine how you want to use the space, which will inform the layout. If you frequently lounge and spend family time in the room, for example, look toward implementing functional and comfortable pieces that can be lived in.
- Narrow in on your budget. Remember to allow at least 10% for accessories. Also, shop your home to see if other areas may have items that could be better used in the new space.
- Always do a furniture layout on paper, as well as proper measurements, to determine exactly what size pieces are needed for the room. Make sure to allow sufficient room to circulate around furniture, even if you’re working with a small space.
- What is your style? The previous fireplace was very traditional in a plain and dated way, and the homeowners wanted a more modern aesthetic. Renovating the fireplace wall presented a big opportunity to have a nice focal point and to bring in architectural details. The surround tile was replaced with a sophisticated black stone, and molding was added to update the wall. The traditional mantel was eliminated to provide a more modern look.
- Determine a color palette for the room that will coordinate with the rest of the house. For example, the homeowners wanted a softer, more sophisticated palette. The existing rug was bold and was replaced with one that had more muted tones. Changing a rug has a big impact on the overall look of the room and can set the tone for the entire space.
- Identify your accent colors. In the living room, we played up the apricot color that the homeowners loved with the chairs. For a home to feel cohesive, you should always offer up versions of that color in other rooms so as the eye travels from room to room, it is not jarring, but a nice give and take.
- Enjoy your new space and remember, nothing is permanent! You can always tweak details here and there to help fit your ever-evolving lifestyle!