Consider one’s porch as an extension of the main living spaces, with ample room for family and friends to sit among several comfy chairs or rockers, a deep sofa with fluffy cushions, and a pair of outdoor lamps to give both ambiance and reading light.
– Painted ceilings in a soft shade of blue give a decidedly Southern feel, particularly Half Moon Crest by Benjamin Moore. A “haint blue” porch ceiling instantly conveys a different time and is such a pretty touch to add to an already welcoming entry.
– Outdoor fabrics and throw pillows give peace of mind to the porch furniture and cushions, where among the elements, having wipeable surfaces gives a clean look and offers easy touch-ups before company arrives.
– For the feel of a true living room, a natural fiber rug is an excellent choice when deciding the materials underfoot. Sisals, jutes, seagrasses are all fun options to give a sense of bringing the interior living room to the outdoor porch. Faux hides are also a wonderful way to layer rugs on a porch….they withstand the elements, after all!
– Plenty of plants on plant stands, in pots, in planters, and foot baths create an organic ambiance that feels both lush and comforting. Ferns are a great choice, along with orchids, seasonal pots, and herbs.
– Bar carts with glasses and mixers keep entertaining essentials within arm’s reach. What’s better than not having to travel far to refill one’s wine glass?